Social media and online marketing captures a lot of attention today (and rightfully so) but postcard marketing is still a tried-and-true method for many companies’ marketing strategy. Postcards can be very effective for lead generation by prompting a call-to-action response in a timely manner.
Postcards generally get read at a much higher rate than other forms of direct mail because they’re easier to read at a glance and there is no envelope to open. And getting your postcards printed and mailed is much more simple with today’s technology.
Here are 6 key reasons to consider marketing with postcards:
1. Lead generation: As mentioned, postcards can be very effective for generating and converting leads into sales.
2. Cost efficient: Compared to other forms of marketing, postcards can be very cost efficient. Depending on the size postcard, postage can range from 29 cents to 44 cents for each piece. And printing costs are relatively low as well, compared to other forms of media.
3. Quick turnaround time: Not only are postcards cost efficient but they can be printed on a very short turnaround time—as little as 12-48 hours from the time you place the order. From there they can be addressed and mailed quickly so it lends itself well for companies who need to quickly get their offer out.
4. Personalized: One of the exciting trends in postcards (and all direct mail for that matter) is variable data printing. With the proper setup of your digital files and your mailing list, you can have each postcard speak directly to your customer. For example, the postcard being mailed to John Smith, can read “John, are you struggling to plan for retirement? Let us help.” And it goes much deeper than that as you can insert any data such as a business name, website address, age or other information that you may have collected in your database. An example would be “Jane, we noticed that your website, www.goodiesbyjane.com, was not on Page 1 in Google. We’d like to help Jane’s Bakery Creations get there. Give us a call today.”
5. Targeted: By using a high quality, targeted list, you can deliver your postcards in the hands of people who are most likely to buy from you. A good place to start is often by purchasing a high-quality mailing list. You can filter by income level, age, geographic location, and hundreds of other criteria including hobbies and interests. Or you can build your own mailing list of people you have done business with in the past, met at trade shows or have identified in some way as being a prospect. Targeted postcard mailings should always generate a much higher response rate than mass mailings.
6. Highly noticeable: Postcards typically get read at much higher rates than other forms of direct mail. If you get a letter in an envelope, such as a credit card offer or a charity solicitation, you may simple toss it without ever opening. But most people will glance at a post card to determine if there is any interest before deciding to toss it or keep reading further. And if you have targeted your list, have a strong call to action and a professional design, you’ve increased the chances they will respond to your offer.
Other tips for effective postcard marketing:
- Consider going with a larger size to stand out among the recipient’s other mail
- Keep your copy as concise as possible—ideal for skimming
- Have your postcard designed by a pro rather than trying to do it yourself (most people can tell)
- Don’t just send one postcard—approach it as a series of postcards sent at regular intervals to get the best results
- Have a clear purpose and one primary action that you want to encourage people to take